Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Goods, the Bads, and the Uglies

UGLY: Our beloved  two year old gecko, STRIPES died on Sunday, January 18, 2010 at approximately 6:00 pm.  He had been battling an infection that had caused him to lose weight and become very lethargic.  This was the second infection that he had had.  He fought off the first infection that he acquired, six months ago like a champ and tried to overcome the second infection but even with $300 vet bill, it proved too much for his little body to handle. He is survived by his self proclaimed dad, Kole Graper, his self proclaimed uncle, Braydon Graper, and his not self-proclaimed grandparents Ryan and Kimberlee Graper.

At the end of Stripes life, both Kole and I were crying over this stupid gecko.  I never touched him, hate reptiles and thought he was ugly, but there is something about a little lizard trying to survive and a little boy sitting by his cage crying saying, "fight Stripes, fight!" ....and yes, I am crying now while I write this so so lame.


Kole was so sad, and wanted to know why his prayers weren't answered for his gecko to get better this time.  I was trying to make him feel better so I told him that a little boy in heaven probably wanted a gecko to play with, so Stripes had to go be his pet for awhile. Okay, I know pretty lame but you try coming up with an answer to that on the fly.  Kole thought for a second and then asked,"Well, why did the little boy die that needed a pet in heaven?" At that, it was dad's turn to offer some words of wisdom.


Hopefully, Stripes is enjoying a fat juicy worm in Gecko Paradise.

Yes, Stripes is still alive in the pictures, but nearing the end :(





4 comments:

  1. What a sad ordeal! Sorry guys...we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your answer is very good. We come up with things like that all the time. And to a child, it works. Poor little Kole, I feel for him, he's so sweet and loving...but you're right...eeeewwwwy lizards. ;) Guess you need to buy him a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about stripes. I have to admit that your commentary gave me a little chuckle. Ok-really I didn't laugh. I mean I was shedding tears. That is a tough one for little Kole. He has such a tender heart. Give him a big hug from us. We love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way! You had a gecko named "Stripes" too? Our Stripes died a few months ago and my kids cried as well. I wonder if he had an infection? I didn't even think of taking him to the vet. Now we have no pet and I'm not about to buy another lizard, certainly no cat or dog. The kids will just have to wait to catch frogs and snakes in our backyard come spring.

    ReplyDelete